Here at Yew Tree Cottage Westow we welcome people with disabilities and have developed the Access
Statement to address some of
the more common issues that disabled people face. Please consider that the cottage was built in
1750, and although
recently renovated, many original features and characteristics remain such as low ceilings, and
non-standard doorway sizes.
This access statement is intended to provide additional information for all guests who wish to stay
at the cottage.
Recognition has been given to include guests with an impairment, which could include mobility,
learning disabilities or any other hidden impairment.We request that anyone wishing to make an
enquiry or booking
inform us of any special needs or disabilities that they may have in order for us to try and meet
any personal requirements.
- Our website features photographs of all rooms, garden and parking areas.
- Bookings and enquiries can be made directly from the website via email or by telephone or
- Directions to Yew Tree Cottage Westow are available on the website.
- The nearest train stations are York (12 miles away) and Malton (4 miles away) with a taxi rank
at each station.
- 1st care travel taxis can transport wheelchairs(01653) 695404
- Ocado and Tesco will deliver online shopping to the cottage.
- We also have a local butcher, and milk-man and who delivers to the door
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
The cottage is approached from a good quality normal width road off the A64, via a wide
bridge (4.2m wide) with good visibility
from both directions.
Parking is available on the road outside the front of the cottage.
The main door to the cottage has a level access from the front road and is 840mm wide which is
accessed from the front
road and there is one step upon entry into the cottage which is 80mm in height. The main entrance in
has one step either side of 80mm which leads in to the Kitchen, Dining Area and Ground Floor
The kitchen entrance slopes slightly.
Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors etc
- There are 12 steps leading up to the bedrooms on the second floor.
- There are two steps leading up to the bathroom and second bedroom in the upstairs area.
- The flooring in the bedrooms is carpet, and in the landing areas the flooring consists of solid
Sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
- The kitchen, dining room and reception room are all located on the ground floor with one step of
80mm leading in to the reception room.
- The flooring throughout the cottage on the ground floor consists of solid oak panelling. There
are carpet runners and rugs with non-slip protectors underneath.
- Wood stove is on ground level, and the handle is approximately 300mm from the hearth. Fire
retardant gloves are provided for use of the wood stove.
- Leather sofas are 470mm high.
- An open fire is in the Dining room with a fire guard supplied which must be used at all times.
- The Dining Room has a rectory table which is 740mm in height, and either side have bench seats,
and 2 dining chairs either end.
- There is one cloakroom toilet located on the ground floor with level access
- Standard toilet upstairs in the main bathroom. Laundry
- The washing machine is located under the worktop in the kitchen. It is a standard front loader.
Instructions for use are provided.
- Fully secluded garden with outside patio area in ground level area, with larger garden and patio
area up 4 stairs.
- Garden furniture and BBQ located on ground level area. Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
- All bedrooms are located upstairs.
- Main bedroom has a king sized bed 650mm in height with carpeted floor.
- Second bedroom has a double bed, 520mm in height with carpeted floor.
- Third bedroom is a pull out sofa bed, 45cm in height with solid oak wood flooring.
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Ensuite or Shared]
- Upstairs family bathroom has a cast iron bath with overhead shower. Bath side is 590mm, and
shower controls are 630mm above bath.
- Self-Catering Kitchen
- Fully self contained kitchen is located on the ground floor.
- Wooden worktop surface throughout kitchen and 920mm in height, with centre island. At least
690mm free space in front of all worktops.
- Wall cupboards highest shelf is 1800mm and lowest shelf 170mm
- Range cooker is 910mm in height
- Full heigh fridge and freezer, with lowest compartment 150mm and highest 1320mm for Fridge, and
1220mm for Freezer Grounds and Gardens
- Granite cobble stones cover all footpath areas. Due to the natural granite, this is an uneven
- Garden furniture available
There is a plan to install a banister rail to assist people going up the stairs.